Fiance Visa

Book a free consultation for UK Fiance Visa with our family visa Solicitors at Connaught Law on 0203 909 8399 or contact us online.

You could be eligible for a UK Fiance visa if you want to relocate to the UK to register a marriage or civil partnership.

On arrival in the UK, all visitors (including non-visa nationals) coming to marry or form a civil partnership, or give notice of this, in the UK must have a valid Fiance visa or marriage visitor visa endorsed with this purpose. There are no provisions in the Immigration Rules for indefinite leave to remain to be granted as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner at entry clearance. Once the marriage or civil partnership has taken place, the person can apply for an extension of stay on that basis under

Fiance Visa Requirements

In order to be granted a UK fiance visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that you are a genuine visitor. This means that you are:

  • On the date the applicant enters the UK, both the applicant and their sponsor must be over the age of 18
  • They must be seeking leave to enter the UK for marriage or civil partnership to a person who is present and settled in the UK or is on the same occasion being admitted to the UK for settlement.
  • The parties to the proposed marriage or civil partnership must have met.
  • Each of the parties must intend to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse or civil partner after the marriage or civil partnership.
  • There must be adequate maintenance and accommodation, without recourse to public funds, available for them until the date of the marriage or civil partnership.
  • After the marriage or civil partnership, there must be adequate accommodation for them and any dependants, without recourse to public funds, in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively.
  • After the marriage or civil partnership, the parties must be able to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds.
  • They must have an original English language test certificate in speaking and listening from an English language test provider approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes unless one of the exceptions applies. For more information, see the English language test requirements.

Evidence required

An applicant must be able to produce satisfactory evidence, if required, of arrangements for giving notice of marriage or civil partnership, or for their wedding or civil partnership to take place in the UK.

You will need to provide information about yourself and your UK-based partner, as well as any dependents who you want to add to your application. Some of the information which you will need to provide includes:

  • Your name and date of birth
  • Copies of the photo page of any old passports and visas
  • Information about the relationship you have with your partner. This includes how long you have been together, how you met and how often you see each other
  • Details of anyone you previously married or had children with
  • Divorce certificates (if applicable)
  • Details of any criminal convictions
  • Details of the countries outside the UK which you have lived in and visited
  • The date of birth and nationality of your parents if you are applying from outside the UK
  • Confirmation of an appointment to give notice of marriage. For example, an appointment card or an email.
  • Confirmation of the church or registry office booking. For example, email confirmation or a receipt for payment.

What is the English language requirement?

If you are from a non-English-speaking country, you will need to fulfil an English language requirement as a Fiance Visa applicant, unless you are exempt (more below).

You need to demonstrate that your level of English in reading, writing, listening and speaking is at least to the level of A1 as set by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

You will need to pass a SELT test at the level of at least A1 at an approved English language test centre to prove your English language ability.

Your pass certificate will need to be included in your portfolio of evidence to submit to the Home Office.

You will be exempt from the English language requirement if:

  • You hold a degree or higher qualification taught in English at an educational institution recognised by NAIRC
  • You are over 65
  • You are a recognised refugee
  • You are living in the UK as an orphan or widow
  • You are a victim of domestic abuse
  • You have a mental or physical condition which prevents you from sitting the exam

Exemptions of financial requirements

You do not need to meet the financial requirement if you have refugee status or humanitarian protection. You also won’t need to meet the financial requirement if you have one or more of the following benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension under the War Pensions Scheme
  • bereavement benefits

You’ll just need to show that you receive enough money to look after your dependent through adequate maintenance. How much this will depend on your individual circumstances.

Fiance Visa English language Requirements

The applicant is not required to meet the English language requirement if the applicant is from a majority English-speaking country or has completed a degree which was taught in English or is over age 65 or has a physical or mental condition which prevents you from meeting this requirement or there are exceptional circumstances which would prevent you from meeting it.

For all other applicants, valid evidence of his/her proficiency in the English language at the A1 level is required.

There are other additional requirements such as Suitability requirements specifying additional criteria to be met concerning, for example:

  • Previous immigration history and other procedural issues
  • Other procedural issues overstaying and other complex cases
  • Overstaying and other complex cases

Spouse Visa Priority Service

You may be able to get a faster decision on your spouse’s visa application by using the optional priority visa service. The fee for spouse visa priority service is £573.

Fiance Visa Extension Application

To be granted an extension as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner, the applicant must meet the requirements of paragraph 293 of the Immigration Rules

  • On the date of the application, both the applicant and their sponsor must be over the age of 18
  • The applicant must have been admitted to the UK with a valid entry clearance as a fiancé or proposed civil partner of a settled person.
  • The applicant has shown that there is a good cause that the marriage or proposed civil partnership did not occur while they had left to enter this category.
  • There is satisfactory evidence that the marriage or civil partnership will take place at an early date.
  • They must meet the requirements for being granted entry clearance, explained above.

How our Immigration Solicitors can help

Our immigration solicitors are experienced in assisting with all types of family visa applications. Whether you are considering applying for a Fiance visa or require advice on the most appropriate visit visa, our solicitors will guide you through the complex UK Visa and Immigration rules and policies.

We pride ourselves on being approachable and proactive in understanding and meeting our client’s needs. We are a highly driven team, dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice to our clients as part of a professional and friendly service.

For further help or information Get In Touch

Meet People

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to meet my fiance in person before applying for a visa?

Yes, you must have met your fiance in person before you can apply for a fiance visa.

Can I bring my children with me on a fiance visa UK?

You can bring your children to the UK on a fiance visa if you include them on your visa application.

Can I apply for a fiance visa if I have a criminal record?

You may still be able to apply for a fiance visa even if you have a criminal record, but it will depend on the nature of your offence and how long ago it occurred. You will need to declare any criminal convictions on your visa application.

Can I work on a fiance visa?

Holders of a fiance visa are not permitted to work in the UK. Before and after the marriage, it is necessary to demonstrate that sufficient funds and accommodation will be available in the UK without recourse to public funds.

Will I need to attend an interview for my UK Fiance Visa application?

You may be required to attend an interview as part of the visa application process. This is an opportunity for the visa officer to ask questions about your relationship and your plans for the future.

Can I apply for a fiance visa if I have previously been refused a visa?

It is possible to apply for a fiance visa even if you have been refused a visa. However, you will need to provide a good reason why your previous application was refused and show that your circumstances have changed.

Do I need to provide financial documents for my fiance visa application?

Yes, you will need to provide financial documentation as part of your fiance visa application to show that you can support yourself financially while you are in the UK. This may include bank statements, payslips, or evidence of any other financial support you receive.

Do I need to provide evidence of my relationship with my fiance?

You will need to provide evidence of your relationship with your fiance as part of your visa application. This may include documents such as photographs, letters, emails, and other correspondence that demonstrate the genuine nature of your relationship.

Can I apply for a fiance visa if I am already in the UK?

A UK fiance visa must be applied for from outside the UK. This visa does not provide a direct path to settlement in the UK. However, if you are already in the UK with valid permission, you can apply to switch to the Spouse Route once a marriage has occurred.

Related Expertise


Would you like to hear more from us?

Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.