Adult Dependant Relative

The adult dependant relative route is for non-EEA adult relatives of British Citizens, settled person or persons in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection status who wish to live and settle in the UK.

The main requirements to settle for an adult relative is to demonstrate that as a result of age, illness or disability they require a level of long-term personal care that only be provided in the UK by their relative without recourse to public funds.

Applicants for Adult Dependant Relative visas must demonstrate that:

  • they are dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living in the UK;
  • they need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks (such as washing and cooking) because of illness, disability or age;
  • the care they need is not available or affordable in the country they live in; and
  • the person they will be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for them without claiming public funds for at least five years.

The applicant must be unable to access the care needed in the country they are living in, even with the relative’s financial and practical help. The care needed can include a nursing home or a housekeeper.

The applicant will need to provide evidence of their relationship with the relative. Evidence will also need to be provided by a doctor or health professional regarding the applicant’s health and needs.

The applicant must provide evidence of why the care is not available in their home country, or provide evidence of their financial circumstances to demonstrate why the care is no longer affordable.

Applications under this category can only be made from outside of the UK. Applicants cannot switch into this category from within the UK.

The UK based relative must demonstrate that:

  • they are over 18 years old;
  • they own or solely occupy a property in the UK in which the applicant can be cared for;
  • they are a British citizen, are settled in the UK or have been granted asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK; and
  • they are financially able to support, accommodate and care for the applicant. 

Length and conditions of stay in the UK

If the applicant has met the above requirements, and their relative is a British citizen or has settlement in the UK, Indefinite Leave to Remain will be granted. If the relative has asylum or humanitarian protection and has limited leave, the applicant will be granted limited leave to enter.

Adult Dependant Relative applications: How we can help

The Home Office will carefully scrutinise an application for an Adult Dependent Relative visa. If it considers that the applicant can be cared for in their home country or if it considers that any of the other requirements have not been met, the application will fall for refusal. It is therefore essential that the application is prepared thoroughly and carefully.

For further help or information Get In Touch

Related Expertise


Would you like to hear more from us?

Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.