Retained Rights of Residence

For a consultation about an EEA application on retained rights of residence call our immigration Solicitors at Connaught Law on 0203 909 8399 or contact us online.

If you are a non-EEA citizen and you are married to an EEA citizen, you may be allowed to stay in the UK in case of the divorce.

Under the current Regulations if a non-EEA citizen has been married to an EEA citizen for at least 3 years and they resided in the UK for at least 12 months and both of them were economically active in the UK during the divorce proceedings, then a non-EEA citizen may be granted further leave in the UK under the so-called Retained Right of Residence.

If a Retained Right of Residence application is approved, a non-EEA citizen may be granted with an EEA Residence Document, valid for 5 years. Such a non-EEA citizen will be able to remain and work in the UK and apply for Permanent Residence (ILR) having completed totally 5 years under EEA law on a combination of the “old” and “current” EEA Residence Documents.

EEA child of a non-EEA parent

If you are a non-EEA citizen and your child is a European citizen you may be granted the right to remain and work in the UK.

Death of an EEA spouse

In case if a non-EEA citizen’s EEA spouse dies from the accident at work or occupational disease, or a non-EEA citizen’s EEA spouse dies having lived in the UK for at least 2 years, that non-EEA citizen may be granted Permanent Residence (ILR ) in the UK.

Continued right of residence

A non-EEA national who is the spouse / civil partner of an EEA national does not cease to be a family member in the event of marital breakdown/separation as long as the EEA national continues to exercise Treaty rights in the United Kingdom.

The non-EEA national continues to have a right of residence until such time as a divorce is finalized, (a Decree Absolute is obtained) / the civil partnership is dissolved.

However, a non-EEA national spouse / civil partner will lose their right of residence if the EEA national leaves the United Kingdom, unless the non-EEA qualifies for a retention right of residence as detailed above.

For further help or information Get In Touch

Related Expertise


Would you like to hear more from us?

Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.