Indefinite Leave to Remain

The ILR is a permanent immigration status allowing you to stay in the UK for an indefinite period of time. To check if you qualify for ILR call our immigration solicitors on 0203 909 8399 or contact us online.

If you’d like to make the United Kingdom your permanent home and want to remove expensive and cumbersome immigration & visa restrictions. If you are living in the UK, your right to apply for settlement will depend on your immigration category.

You will have to have been free from immigration restrictions for at least a year before becoming eligible for British Citizenship unless you are married to a British citizen or are his/her civil partner. When you apply for ILR your foreign-born children, who are in the UK as your dependents, will be able to settle with you. The children who were born in the UK when you were a migrant will be able to register as a British citizen after you get your ILR. Any children born in the UK after your ILR will automatically be British citizens by birth.

Who may qualify for indefinite leave to remain

The legal requirements for Indefinite Leave to Remain vary depending on the kind of visa or immigration status you have held during your stay in the UK. These requirements are complex and proper legal advice and representation must be sought to ensure compliance with better chances of success. It is worth getting expert legal advice and representation as your application for indefinite leave to remain might well be your last immigration application which you must not risk.

If you have been living in the UK for a certain period of time, you may be eligible to apply to the Home Office – UK Visas and Immigration (UKBA) for Indefinite Leave to Remain.  If you have been working in the UK under the points-based system for 5 years you may be eligible to apply for settlement in the UK.

If you have been legally resident in the UK for a period of 10 years you may qualify for settlement.  If you have been recognized as a Refugee with leave to remain for 5 years you may apply for settlement at the end of the period.  If you have been granted Discretionary Leave for a period of 6 years you may qualify for settlement at the end of this 6 year period. However, under the new rules, this period is increased to 10 years.

There are other categories,  such as EEA nationals who have been exercising their right to free movement in the UK for 5 years who can apply for Permanent Residence in the UK.

In most categories, you are required to show that you have knowledge of language and life in the UK. You are also required to apply for a biometric residence permit, which is a card confirming your personal details, immigration status and your entitlements to work, restrictions, etc.

Why Connaught Law

Our immigration solicitors are experienced in UK immigration law can advise you on any queries you may have on applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. We can also assist you in preparing and submitting your application to the UK Visas and Immigration on standard or same day service.

For further help or information Get In Touch

Related Expertise


Would you like to hear more from us?

Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.