Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa

The Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa is for a parent who wishes to accompany or join their child under the age of 12 who is studying in the UK at an independent fee-paying day school.

A parent of tier 4 child can accompany their child up until the child turns 12 years old. When the youngest child turns aged 12, the parent would need to leave the UK.

Leave is usually granted for 6 or 12 months at a time and can be extended up until the child has reached age 12.

Only one parent is permitted to travel to the UK, even where multiple children are attending school. The other parent may be able to enter as a visitor for short visits or would need to make an application under a different category of the Immigration Rules.

Parent of a Tier 4 Child Student visa holders are not permitted to switch into any other immigration category from within the UK.

Parent applies at the same time as a Tier 4 (Child) student

When a parent of a Tier 4 (child) student applies at the same time as the Tier 4 (child), the parent must be able to demonstrate that they meet the maintenance requirement. Where the child is (or will be) studying at a non-residential independent school, is under the age of 12 and is (or will be) accompanied by a parent, the parent must be able to demonstrate that they have enough funds available to pay school fees for an academic year, plus either:

Parent applies separately from the Tier 4 (child)

Where the Tier 4 (child) student already holds leave for the period being sought, the parent will still need to show that there are enough funds to support themselves, the Tier 4 (child) student and any other dependants. To assess this, you need to take into account factors such as:

  • costs
  • school fees
  • housing costs
  • living costs (such as travel, utilities and food)

Third party support

Due to the nature of this route, it is highly likely that applicants will be financially supported by their spouse who will remain overseas. Where this is the case, funds held by their spouse must be treated as if the funds are shared, as long as the evidence supports this. Evidence can be documents such as bank statements combined with:

  • documents which confirm access to a joint bank account
  • a letter from the spouse overseas which confirms that they are the sole provider for their spouse and child in the UK

How our Immigration Solicitors can help

Our team of immigration solicitors has experience in assisting with all types of Tier 4 Child Student Parent visas. Our solicitors are experts in the immigration options for parents of Tier 4 Child Students and will guide you through the complex Home Office rules and policies.

For further help or information Get In Touch

Related Expertise


Would you like to hear more from us?

Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.