Civil Partnerships Dissolution

Contact Connaught Law for an initial consultation about Civil Partnership Dissolution. Call our Family & Divorce Solicitors on 0203 909 8399 or contact us online and we will call you.

If you are in a civil partnership, or about to register one, you should know it affects your rights when it comes to things like inheritance and children. You may be confused as to where you stand in different personal, financial and legal situations when it comes to dissolution of civil partnership. Do you feel in the dark and would like to be clear about your rights? Or do you have a legal issue regarding your civil partnership that you would like to resolve? Whatever your problem or query, Connaught Law can offer you expert guidance when it comes to dissolution of civil partnership.

What are civil partnerships?

Only same-sex couples can enter a civil partnership, whereas both male and females can enter a marriage. If you are in a same-sex relationship, registering a civil partnership will give your relationship legal recognition. This will give you added legal rights, as well as responsibilities.

Legal differences between civil partnership and marriage

In some key ways, the law is arguably stricter in the case of civil partnerships than it is in marriage. For example, a person may dissolve a marriage if the other person was suffering from a venereal disease at the time of the wedding. This is not the case with civil partnerships.

Registering a civil partnership

You and your partner can register a civil partnership as long as all the following circumstances apply:

  • you are both 16 or over. If you are 16 or 17, you will usually have to get written consent from your parents or legal guardians
  • you have lived in the same area in England or Wales for at least seven days
  • neither of you is already either a civil partner or married
  • you are not close blood relatives.

Ending a civil partnership

Once you have registered a civil partnership, it can only be ended if one of you dies, or by applying to the court to bring the partnership legally to an end.

You cannot apply to bring a civil partnership legally to an end until it has lasted for at least one year.

This break-down is demonstrated by establishing one or more of the following facts:

  • Unreasonable Behaviour
  • physical or mental cruelty
  • verbal or physical abuse
  • being irresponsible with money
  • being sexually unfaithful
  • Your partner has behaved so badly that you can no longer bear to live with them.

This could include:


Your partner has left you:

  • without your agreement
  • without a good reason
  • to end your relationship
  • for more than 2 years in the past 2.5 years

You can still claim desertion if you have lived together for up to a total of 6 months within this period.

Lived apart from 2 years

You can get a dissolution if you have lived apart for more than 2 years, and both agree to end the civil partnership. Your civil partner must agree in writing to end the civil partnership.

Lived apart from 5 years

If you have been living apart for more than 5 years it is usually enough to end a civil partnership, even if your civil partner disagrees.

Our family law solicitors can help

At Connaught Law, our family law solicitors can guide you through the process of ending a civil partnership. Our specialist family lawyers are experienced in that area of law and will work with you to achieve the desired outcome.

For further help or information Get In Touch

Related Expertise


Would you like to hear more from us?

Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.