Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

The category of visitors undertaking permitted paid engagements is for a defined list of visitors who are invited to come to the UK because of their particular skills and expertise. They may apply to come to the UK for up to 1 month without the need to be sponsored under the points-based system.

This route allows visitors to undertake a short-term, fee-paid permitted paid engagement which falls under one or more of the permissible activities:

  • Student examiner or assessor
  • Take part in selection panels for the education, arts or research organisation you’re invited by as a highly qualified academic
  • Give lectures, as long as you’re not in a formal teaching role

Documents required

If you wish to apply for a permitted paid engagement visa, you should ensure that you have the following documentation:

  • Proof that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months.
  • Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans – you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa.
  • A formal invitation from the organisation or authority you’ll be paid by.
  • Proof that the paid engagement relates to your expertise, qualifications and main job in your home country, eg a letter from your employer


The maximum you can stay in the UK is less than one month. You cannot extend this visa.

Please note that upon the expiry of your visa, you are required to leave the UK. If you stay beyond the expiry of your visa, you will remain illegally in the UK and you will be considered an “overstayer”. This may have an adverse impact on your immigration record and is likely to affect any future UK immigration applications. This could even result in you being banned from re-entering the UK for a certain period of time.

Right of Appeal

Applicants can be refused a visa to enter the UK on a permitted paid engagement visa.

There is no right of appeal against the Entry Clearance Officers decision to refuse any permitted paid visa application. We, therefore, advise that if applicants have been refused a visa, please seek legal advice on the procedure for submitting a fresh application.

In case of a permitted paid engagement visa refusal, the only judicial remedy is Judicial Review. This is where a Judge reviews the lawfulness of a decision or action made by the British Embassy/Home Office in the High Court. If you wish to explore this option further then please contact us to arrange a consultation.

How we can help

We can advise on the procedure of making a ‘permitted paid engagement visa’ application and discuss the merits of your application. For further information on making the application call our office on 0203 909 8399 or contact us online.

For further help or information Get In Touch

Related Expertise


Would you like to hear more from us?

Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.