Tier 4 General Student Visa

At Connaught Law, our immigration solicitors can provide a complete solution for your Tier 4 General study visa including academic assessment, admission and visa application. Call us on 0203 909 8399 or contact us online.

In terms of numbers of international students, the UK overall lags only behind the considerably larger the US – and this popularity is unsurprising given the strong global reputation enjoyed by UK universities. UK education is all about giving you the inspiration to develop your knowledge and skills, freedom to be creative, and support to help you achieve your best. UK schools, colleges and universities offer you a world-class education – the chance to follow your passion for learning and gain qualifications that are respected by employers and academics worldwide.

UK University Application Requirements

All students are required to write a ‘personal statement’ explaining their reasons for wanting to study their chosen subject. If you are applying to more than one institution (as is usual), make sure not to mention any by name, as they all will receive the same personal statement. The UCAS website has a lot of tailored advice for writing personal statements, but as a rule-of-thumb, international students are encouraged to mention why they want to study in the UK rather than in their home country, how their studies will help them in the future, and describe their English language skills (perhaps by mentioning any English courses or tests they have taken).

UK English Language Requirements

If English is not your first language, you will need to provide official proof of your English language ability. Proof of English must be in the form of a recent IELTS, Pearson, TOEFL or Cambridge English Language Examination score. The IELTS test you take – and the score you need – will depend on both your visa requirements and/or the requirements of the institution where you plan to study or work. In general, the English language requirements may also vary on the course level and nature e.g. medicine, may require at least 7.0.

  • To study with us at an undergraduate level, you will need an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent.
  • To study graduate modules, you will need a minimum score of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.

Studying a Foundation Program

If you will apply for your visa outside the UK, the only test available as a SELT is an ‘IELTS for UKVI’ test (UK Visas and Immigration) from an approved IELTS SELT Consortium test centre.  If you will apply within the UK you can take an IELTS for UKVI test or a Trinity College London SELT test. The IELTS entry requirement for undergraduate foundation programmes is:

  • IELTS 4.5 (no less than 4.0 in any element)

The IELTS entry requirement for master’s foundation programmes is:

  • IELTS 5.5 (no less than 5.0 in any element)

Maintenance Funds

You will need enough money to pay for your course fees and your living costs while you are in the UK. The Home Office refers to this as the maintenance (funds) requirements.

Maintenance must be in the form of cash funds. You cannot use evidence of other types of finances, such as shares, bonds or a pension fund. You also cannot use an overdraft facility.

The amount of money that you need to have for your maintenance will depend on:

  1. How long your courses last AND
  2. Where you will be studying in the UK

Maintenance Funds for Applicants Tier 4 Students

  • Inner London £1,265 per month.  Therefore, if your course lasts for nine months or more you will have to show £11,385.
  • Outer London £1,015 per month.  Therefore, if your course lasts for nine months or more you will have to show £9,135.

Tier 4 Dependants Maintenance

If your dependent applies on or after 12 November 2015, then the amount of money that each dependant must show is as follows:

  • If you will study in London, £845 for each month of your course, up to a maximum of 9 months (that is, a maximum figure of £7,605). The definition of ‘London’ for these purposes is complicated, so check with your college or university whether or not you will be considered to be studying in London.
  • If you will study somewhere other than London, £680 for each month of your course, up to a maximum of 9 months (that is, a maximum figure of £6,120).

Note: There is no reduction in cases where students already have an ‘established presence’ in the UK (provision for this was abolished on 12 November 2015).

For further help or information Get In Touch

Related Expertise


Would you like to hear more from us?

Visit our subscriptions page to tell us a bit more about what you’re interested in so we can send you relevant news.