For an initial consultation about spouse visa call our family immigration Solicitors at Connaught Law on 0203 909 8399 or contact us online.
The Spouse visa is the application for non-EEA citizens, who are married partners of British nationals to join their spouses in the UK. The Spouse Visa is essentially a visa which allows an individual to join their married partner and extend or settlement permanently if they meet the necessary requirements below.
If the applicant and the sponsor are not married but are in a genuine relationship as partners, they are able to apply for Unmarried partner visa if they can provide evidence that they have been living together in a relationship akin to a marriage or civil partnership for at least two years prior to the date of application.
If you are a married partner of an EEA national please see our EEA Married Partners page.
We advise that you will need to meet the following requirements to be eligible to apply for a spouse settlement visa:
- The applicant will need to evidence they meet the financial requirement:
- The applicant will need to evidence that they are in a genuine and subsisting relationship: This is a subjective element. We will need to provide sufficient evidence and substantiate in our legal representations how you both satisfy this requirement.
- The applicant will need to evidence that they have adequate accommodation:
- The applicant needs to have the required level of English language.
The requirements are constantly changing so it is important that you meet the requirements at the time that you make the application which our expert lawyers will of course ensue.
At Connaught Law, we offer the highest quality service so you can be confident that we will specify and handle all the documentation required in assisting you in making a successful application. We run a specialised service with spouse teams who will deal with your case in a smooth and efficient manner.
You need to be earning a certain amount, or have enough savings, in order to bring your spouse or partner to the UK to live. This is called ‘meeting the financial requirement’.
You don’t need to meet the financial requirement if you have refugee status or humanitarian protection.
If you do need to meet the financial requirement, you’ll need to prove that you earn a minimum annual income (before tax). The amount depends on who you’re applying for.
|Family member||How much you need to earn per year before tax|
|Just your spouse or partner||£18,600|
|Your spouse or partner and one child||£22,400|
|Each additional child||£2,400|
Exemptions of financial requirements
You won’t need to meet the financial requirement if you have one or more of the following benefits:
- Disability Living Allowance
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
- Attendance Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment
- Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
- Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension under the War Pensions Scheme
- bereavement benefits
You’ll just need to show that you receive enough money to look after your dependent through adequate maintenance. How much this will depend on your individual circumstances.
English language requirements
The applicant is not required to meet the English language requirement if the applicant is from a majority English speaking country or has completed a degree which was taught in English or is over age 65 or has a physical or mental condition which prevents you from meeting this requirement or there are exceptional circumstances which would prevent you from meeting it.
For all other applicants, valid evidence of his/her proficiency in the English language at A1 level is required.
There are other additional requirements such as Suitability requirements specifying additional criteria to be met concerning, for example:
- Previous immigration history other procedural issues
- Other procedural issues overstaying and other complex cases
- Overstaying and other complex cases
Further information, help, and advice
As one of the leading immigration solicitors in Holborn London, we also work on a broad range of other immigration application with an experienced in-house team of solicitors to represent applicants who have grounds to apply visas that involve marriage, civil partnership, asylum, human rights and the European Union free movement.
For further help or information Get In Touch
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the duration of spouse visa?
The initial leave granted for a spouse is 33 months which is further renewable for another 30 months. The spouse can apply to settle in the UK after 5 years by meeting the settlement requirements.
Can I switch to UK Spouse visa?
You may be eligible to switch your visa category to spouse visa from within the country in certain exceptional cases. You should seek qualified Immigration advise to ascertain the eligibility for the same.
What are the requirements for extension of UK Spouse visa?
Applicants seeking to extend their stay in the UK as spouses of British citizens or persons settled in the UK are required to demonstrate that their relationship is still subsisting, in addition, they are required to show that they continue to meet the financial eligibility requirement and English language requirement.
What is the English requirement for UK Spouse visa?
Applicants who are applying to join their family members in the UK are required to demonstrate that they are proficient in English language at CEFR Level A1. Applicants can take IELTS UKVI Life Skills and achieve a pass. This requirement is for applicants seeking entry clearance to join their family members.
Applicants who are already in the UK and applying for an extension are required to meet the language requirements at CEFR Level A2 and for settlement CEFR Level B1.
What are the documents required for UK Spouse visa?
Applicants are encouraged to submit documents that they believe would strengthen their application. Typically, the documents that are required to be submitted include:
- Documents evidencing how the sponsor/applicant meet the financial eligibility requirement
- Documents evidencing that the applicant meets the English language requirement (e.g. IELTS Test result, Letter from UK NARIC etc.)
- TB Test certificate in the name of the applicant (if they are from a country that requires applicants to undergo such test).
- Evidence of accommodation available to the applicant in UK
- Evidence of relationship of the applicant and sponsor (e.g. marriage certificate, chat histories, call logs, joint bank account statement etc).
What is the spouse visa processing time?
Home Office currently states that most applications are decided within 12 weeks. Applicants have the option of choosing Priority processing service, that puts their application ahead in the queue.
Applicants who would like to extend their spouse visa from within the UK can also opt for same-day processing by paying a premium fee.